Worldkids International School system was accredited with its Montessori education by International Montessori Society. Montessori education is the one that dips into developing children’s potential through a learning environment fully equipped with special and modern learning tools and with a dedicated guidance of professional teachers.
FEATURES OF MONTESSORI EDUCATION
Montessori Education puts children’s foundation, interest, and demand to the top, especially for infants to 24 year-old adults. It encourages natural development in which the innate talent, the ‘potential prodigy’ are able to freely discover, create and expose through materials and a real environment. A great achievement of Montessori Education is its education of children creativity, independent thinking and forming the personality of a good citizen.
It is an educational approach about discovery and research of children by Dr. Montessori. This method has been popular since the early 20th century.
Maria Montessori (1870- 1952) was the first Italian woman to obtain a PhD degree in Medicine. She also had 3 more PhD degrees in Psychology, Pedagogy and Anthropology. Later, she was a famous educationalist all over the world for dedicating the remainder of her life to study children teaching method, especially for those from 0-6 years old.
Montessori philosophy was built on the theory that children develop and think differently from adults. Each child is born with the potential to learn. She fought for the rights of children and respect them as an individual (consider children as an adult). Therefore, she formed a method to guide children develop suitably with their needs. She determined that: ‘Learning is a natural process and should be at the right time of development’, meaning teaching no more or less, teachers do not have the right to choose what to teach, but children).
Sense education first, intellectual education second. During learning through senses, children learn to read and practicing with learning tools, they learn to write.
In Montessori lessons, children are free to use a variety of different school supplies, depending on personal preferences. Children are operating independently, the teacher needs meticulous observation and ability of each child, helping them develop their talents and interests. Montessori school topics include:
- Life Skills
– Training children to practice in daily life is the basic criteria of Montessori.
– Child develop their introspective, calm, order, focus, combining with rhythmic movements and meet their needs.
– Children are interested in hygiene, surrounding environment and experienced in helping others.
– Children start to learn responsibility, independence, confidence; simultaneously with the development of senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste.
– Children are trained with self-esteem.
– Help children observe the world and compare objects, judge, make guess, reason and conclusion.
– They understand the order of the surroundings.
– Learning visual tools help children prepare for the subject, are a solid basis for mathematics, etc.
– Learn how to organize, differentiate through perception, sensation.
– Language activities in Montessori classes from 3 to 6 year old kids are to develop the ability to read and write through the senses, daily activities. Being exposed and communication is the basis to develop the senses.
– They learn to organize and differentiate through the senses.
– The preparatory activities for the children to read and write.
– Specific learning tools for the following activities:
+ The picture metal cage compound.
+ Flashcards and objects.
+ Sandpaper letters to assemble stories.
+ Moving letter system.
+ Sound system.
– Practice and use specific learning tools so that children can understand abstract concepts.
– With tangible materials representing quantity, children using these to understand the concepts, symbols and calculations. The course includes an introduction of numbers and the relationship between numbers and mathematical symbols, calculation order, addition, subtraction and decimal system.
– Provides basic knowledge of culture, science and geography, forming an awareness of the world around.
– Children are basically introduced to science, geography and nature.
– All students are learned through experience and learning tools.